Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Sweet, sensitive heart

Sutton pulled out his AR book a few weeks ago and asked if he could read it to me. I said sure. He said it was "a little sad".

It was "Knuffle Bunny". I've never heard of it.

Anyway, he starts reading and is doing just fine until he gets to the part where they are trying to find the bunny. He stops suddenly, looks at me, and tells me this is the sad part and he might start crying.

I told him to go ahead... and he bursts into tears. Absolutely heartbroken over the idea of the little girl losing her knuffle bunny. He just curled up into my chest and sobbed, absolutely breaking my heart.

I think he talked me into his OWN Knuffle Bunny at the same time.

When he finally stopped crying and we finished the story together, he asked me to tell his teacher he can't take his AR test on it because it's too sad and he's afraid he might cry at school. Then he wrapped his arms around my neck and said "Momma, hugs make my heart fill up".

Oh little boy.... if only you knew how much you make my own heart fill up.

1 comment:

  1. He has got to be the sweetest thing ever! Great story and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete